Pages

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

UCM: It’s not just about what happens in class


I was getting coffee the other day next to Jeff Murphy, who works for University Relations and supervises the student PR firm. Even though I only met him once, he spoke to me. Our 15 second conversation meant more to me than he knows I’m sure. Professionals may not realize this, but just to speak with someone who is where we want to be in the future is so encouraging. For someone who already has a career in the PR field to take an interest in my learning and my skills is something you can’t find everywhere, but I found it at UCM.
UCM recently launched a new strategic positioning platform: “Learning to a Greater Degree.” This definition hits the nail on the head. It perfectly describes my journey at UCM. I’m not just going to class to graduate with a degree. I’m learning much more than that. My learning goes beyond the classroom. It's what I am able to accomplish outside of class that will really impact my future. Anyone can sit in class and take notes, but the opportunity to take that knowledge and apply it through an internship or Public Relations Student Society of America or Innovative Public Relations is where the greater learning happens.
This all clicked for me as I stood there getting coffee next to Jeff. We don't just go to class at UCM; we take it to the next level. My advice to students is to get involved outside of class and make an effort to know professors and faculty. They were once in your shoes and now they are well into their career. They have already been where you are going and are your connection to the professional world.

No comments:

Post a Comment